Most people think it’s best to skip breakfast to save calories, but the truth is it hurts you in the long run. Research has found many benefits to eating breakfast.
When you eat breakfast in the morning, it jump-starts your metabolism and allows your body to know there will be plenty of calories for the day. When you don’t eat breakfast, your body reacts by going into conservation mode rather than burning mode for any incoming calories. Studies have shown people who skip breakfast tend to have a higher BMI.
Advantages of Eating Breakfast
- Lower BMI
- Meet fruit and vegetable recommendations
- Have better focus during the day
- Have higher calcium intake
- Less likely to consume nutrient dense snacks
Breakfast gives you a chance to receive vitamins and nutrients that you may otherwise not get. Breakfast offers many benefits, such as reducing brain fog, improving heart health, and lowering risk for diabetes. So try out a new breakfast food this week. It just might change your mind.
Smart Breakfast Choice Examples
- High-fiber cereal with fresh fruit and low-fat milk
- High-fiber toast or bagel with peanut butter
- Low-fat yogurt with fruit and granola
- Oatmeal with fruit